Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sewing for Dummies

My dear, sweet Oma (that's "grandma" for those out of the loop) has bestowed upon me her sewing machine! I'm on the track, but I've had it now for two weeks and have not opened the case. I have however opened the manual and was tickled when I saw the following...


Photobucket



Congratulations, Madam! I love it! Makes me feel like a 1950's housewife, but in a good non-anti-feminist way.

The sewing machine is from 1974, purchased on Christmas Eve by my Opa (grandpa) for my Oma. I should probably take it in and have someone look at it since it hasn't been used in years. Now where does one do that if one is so inclined? Joann's, maybe? I don't know of any other stores that sell sewing machines around here.

I've also picked up a copy of Sewing for Dummies. All it is doing is making me nervous. So much to remember, and it all seems so complicated. But I'm determined! I will learn!

Next step... taking her out of the case. I just know she's a girl too.

5 comments:

elexisb said...

Yes, I'd take it to Joann's and have them tune it up. Happy sewing, Madam!

And great blog layout, so cute.

Des said...

Okay, time to stop reading and get sewing. Take it out of the case. Plug it in. Do you have thread? Thread it. Look at the little pictures in the manual, madam. Now, fill the bobbin. Maybe Oma already had some thread in there. Just give it a whirl. Listen to the hum of great machinery. LOVE IT!!! love you!

Corrie said...

Cute blog, we should have had you do our's! I'm excited for you. There's much to learn. Good luck with the sewing machine - be so grateful you have the manual. P.S. There are two streets by me named Opa & Oma. I think of your grandparents everytime I see them.

CJ said...

Well my any of the J's I have ever gone to do not have machine repairs, but call them and see what they have to say. They could at least point you in the right direction. Hey! You are talking about that sewing machine like it is an antique :0 1974! hmph. Well at least home ec was offered in schools back then, sometimes even required - but just for the girls. ;) Have fun!

em's scrapbag said...

Isn't funny what they used to write on old applances. I have a very old Kirby vaccuum. The box says "More Leisure Time For You" Just makes me laugh.

 
design by suckmylolly.com